Welcome to Holy Family Home
The Little Sisters of the Poor arrived in Philadelphia on August 24, 1869, to respond to the needs of the elderly poor in Philadelphia at the time. Jeanne Jugan was still alive to witness this spreading of her work to the far reaches of the earth. The work of the Little Sisters began in the heart of Philadelphia at 18th and Jefferson Street. Later, it expanded to include St. Michael’s Home in Germantown, PA and Sacred Heart Home in Southwest Philadelphia. Sacred Heart Home opened in 1902. In the early 1970’s, the home was rebuilt and renamed to its current name, Holy Family Home.
Today, we offer three levels of care:
- Independent Living Apartments: 30 apartments for low-income seniors
- Personal Care: 22 private rooms
- Skilled Nursing Care: 44 private rooms (Medicaid and Medicare certified)
What is unique about Holy Family Home?
- The Little Sisters live at Holy Family Home and are privileged to serve the Residents 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- We take a spiritual approach to aging which is exemplified by the central location of our chapel in the Home, the presence of a full-time chaplain, daily Mass, rosary, and other devotions as well as regular availability of the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick.
- All Resident bedrooms are single occupancy and have private bathrooms. Some of the rooms also have private showers.
- Although each independent apartment has kitchen facilities, apartment Residents are welcome to enjoy home style meals in the Holy Family Home dining rooms as often as they wish. They also fully participate in the life of the Home which includes Mass, recreation programs, and outings.
- The Little Sisters stay with the Residents when they are dying. The Sisters sit and pray for the Residents, taking turns during the night and during the day, as well as lovingly supporting the family members.
The Little Sisters of the Poor, following the example of their saintly foundress, Jeanne Jugan, offer the needy elderly a family-like home where they will experience love and respect as they journey toward eternal life.
For more information please contact Holy Family Home at (215) 729-5153 or email@example.com.